POWER is a Women’s Initiative group of the Shelby County United Way. The Shelby County United Way is a local 501c3 Non- Profit organization. The Shelby County United Way funds 27 different programs and agencies that positively impact the community by improving the Health, Education and Income of our community.
In 2013 the Shelby County United Way determined that a Women’s Initiative group would do well in our community. In June 2013 local female community leaders, donors and philanthropists formed a steering committee and within the year 23 Charter Members founded P.O.W.E.R., which stands for Passionate Optimistic Women Encouraging Results.
A powerful local network of caring, philanthropic women that takes action and addresses the immediate needs of children and their families in our community through a holistic, hands on approach. POWER addresses the more time sensitive, immediate needs of children and families in our community.
- Networking and Social opportunities with other women who live and or work in Shelby County
- Hands on volunteering and mentoring opportunities
- Gain professional experience
- Give back & make a difference
- Personally strengthening your community
What We Do
Our members take a hands-on approach to driving change in our community by implementing programming and volunteering for events. POWER provides the opportunity for you to participate at the level that meets your needs, and your lifestyle. You can attend events, volunteer, join a committee or simply make a financial contribution.
Project & Volunteer Experiences
Through collaborations between the Shelby County United Way, our community partners and members we consistently have new projects and opportunities developing. There are many current volunteer opportunities available to members. For information about these volunteer opportunities, visit our Volunteer Opportunities page.
- Chair – Connie Barhorst
- Vice Chair – Shelly Dooley
- Treasurer – Shelly Ginter
- Mentoring & Event Planning – Kim Doak
- Membership Chair – Rhonda Keister
- Programs and Projects Chair – Kim Rosengarten
- Social Media Chair – Mary Beth Monnier
- EmPOWERed Chair – Jenny Van Matre
- United Way Liaison – Linda Meininger
- POWER Associate/Enhanced Giving Coordinator – Amy West