In order to fulfill our mission, POWER seeks projects and programs in Shelby County that need our volunteers, financial assistance or media coverage. We are ready to consider your project or program. Please click here to submit a Project/Program form for our consideration.
If you are interested in helping with one of our current projects, please see the list below or contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Below we have also listed many of the past Projects and Programs for which we have assisted.
If you would like to view other Shelby County United Way organizations that need our help, please click here.
POWER Annual Programs and Projects
- E.M.POWER E.D. – Tutoring at Longfellow, Northwood, Emerson, Whittier and Fairlawn Kindergarten classes
and Feed the Family Nights. Along with our POWER member volunteers, we have also added volunteers from these local businesses: Alvetro Orthodontics, Amos Memorial Library, Choice One, Emerson Climate Technologies, Reuse Insurance Company, Shelby County AAA, State Farm Insurance, Realty 2000 and Wilson Health.
- Shelby County Special Olympics – Helping athletes get to their event
- Summer Backpack Program – Fill bags of food for local children’s weekend meals
- Safety Town – Aid local police with this educational program
2017 Programs and Projects
- December – Spread the Warmth Coat Drive
- November – Salvation Army Angel Tree Donation
- October – EmPOWERed Program-Feed the Family Night and tutoring at Longfellow and Northwood Schools
- September 23rd – Second Annual Junk in the Trunk sale at Custenborder Field
- July 18th – POWER members went on the United Way’s Tour to Understand, visiting 7 United Way funded agencies
- June 19th – POWER members participated in the United Way’s Day of Action and painted the kitchen and hallway at the Salvation Army
- May – POWER received the Friend of Education award for our Longfellow Empowered program
- Summer – POWER members help pack food for the weekend backpack program through the City of Sidney
- April – POWER members helped repaint the Born Learning Trail at Tawawa and Anna Parks
- April 29th – POWER volunteers helped with the YMCA Shelby County Health Fair & Healthy Kids Day and the Shelby County Special Olympics
- March – Donated $1,000 to Imagination Library Program through Amos Memorial Library
- February 8th – Feed the Family Night at Longfellow Elementary, Kindergartners
2016 Programs and Projects
- December – Collected 85 coats for 7 Shelby County Schools; POWER donated $1,000 to supplement purchasing of new coats
- October 22 – 1st Annual Junk in the Trunk fundraiser at Custenborder
- November – POWER donated $1,000 towards the Salvation Army Angel Tree Program
- September – POWER donated $1,000 towards the Salvation Army School Tools kits
- August 6 – Repainting of the Born Learning Trail, Tawawa Park Sidney
- EmPOWERed at Longfellow, Tutoring every Tuesday 8:45 – 9:30 Kindergarten. Multiple Family Nights with dinner and activities, two Mobile Learning Labs
- June 25: Kids Around the Square, 10:15 a.m. – noon. Encourage kids to sign up for the imagination library, and recruit POWER members.
- July 5 – 8: Safety Town, 9:00 a.m. – 12 p.m. OR 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Officer Mike McRill could use our help – 1 volunteer per time slot, to help with Safety Town at the downtown police station. Children are 4-7 years old. POWER donated $600 for the purchase of new Big Wheels.
- July 19: Columbus Zoo Chaperone for Wilma Valentine Learning Center, 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Volunteers would have a maximum of 2 children to chaperone for this trip.
- June 1 – August 3, every Wednesday,9:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m., Pack food for the City of Sidney Summer Backpack Program., at the Sidney Service Center 415 S. Vandemark Rd. POWER donated $1000 towards food purchases.
- This Summer – one Friday evening or Saturday morning – paint the Born Learning Trail at Tawawa Park. Details coming.
- Community Garden and the Alpha Center, POWER collected gift certificates and supplies for the garden that is a Juvenile Court project
- April – Sidney Middle School Wellness activities, POWER donated $165 to help purchase fitness games and snacks for the 5th grade event.
- April 30: Special Olympics, noon – 4:00 p.m. at the Sidney Middle School. Volunteers are needed to escort the athletes during the event.
- Born Learning Trails at Fort Loramie Library and Anna. POWER buys the signs that are needed to complete the project.
2015 Programs and Projects
- EmPOWERed at Longfellow, Tutoring every Tuesday 8:45 – 9:30 Kindergarten. Multiple Family Nights with dinner and activities.
- Community Garden donations from Members
- $1000 donated to the Imagination Library
- $1000 donated to the Salvation Army Angel Tree which filled the gap for every child to receive shoes, pants, tops, socks and underwear. An anonymous donor gave another $1000 after seeing our press release.
- Elizabeth New Life Center – POWER hosted a POWER Shower at the center in order to members to tour, donate needed items and learn about the Mother’s Mentoring Program. POWER also donated $500 towards the new mother’s gift bags.
- Special Olympics – POWER members helped escort the athletes on their special day
- Imagination Library begins in Shelby County.